Thursday, August 30, 2007

Happy Anniversary Baby

This should have been posted long ago, but I was so excited and happy to have my wife back after almost 2 weeks that I forgot to post about it. Anyway, that's no excuse, and I'm terribly sorry. So here goes..



24th August, 2002,455 Vijaypath, Mansarovar, Jaipur



I woke up at 5:00 a.m., which is quite a big deal for me! I kept strolling around my room nervously. I must've smoked 12 cigarettes between 5-6 a.m. and the carbon monoxide filled air caused Sabby(Subroto) to shift uncomfortably in his bed a few times. The night before I had a spat with Chulbul(now my wife) over something very stupid. Well...not stupid actually..I was irritated coz I wasn't getting enough time to spend with her. Although she was very friendly with all the people in my group, she had a lot of exclusive friends too; mainly due to the Rural Management & Business Management divide. Also, not very helpful was the fact that some of them totally despised me...can you believe that? lol;). Some of them just wouldn't leave her alone..ever!..be it the library or the cafeteria and they made it a point to tag along everywhere she went. She never agrees on this, but I'm pretty sure it was all to keep her safe from my "evil" intentions. The thing was...I and Chulbul were more than good friends...yeah..and everybody knew that...but none of us had said anything. We would have a spree of movies, dinners and Filleto Fish hogging at McD's for a week and then the snatchers would surface from nowhere and we wouldn't see each other's faces for 3 days. This annoyed!!!! me. I was annoyed with her too; why couldn't she just say no to them? But then I realized that they were her friends, so what if they didn't like me, they were still her friends. Even after considering this, I was still annoyed at her for not giving me as much importance as I was giving her. Now, of course, I've realized that I was being plain jealous and stupid. Anyway..coming back to the story; the night before I had come back to the hostel looking all depressed and Sabby had sat down to talk with me. He told me that I had to say something to her...he actually coaxed me into doing it...god bless his soul.



That was the reason I was so jittery that morning...I had decided to say 'something'. By the time I washed up and got dressed (a black full sleeves shirt and blue denims) everybody in my hostel was awake. Maamu(Ankur), Addy(Aditya), Sabby(Subroto), Jalahasthi(Ripon--Jalahasthi means a hippo in Bangla) & Sid(Siddharth) all had their inquiring eyes on me. I said "I'm gonna do it today" and kick started my bike, I could hear the YAYs and 'good luck' screams as I rode out of the gate. Very filmy na?he he



I reached the institute half an hour before her first class started. As always, I went into Kaka's Thadi for the morning tea ritual. The only thing which was associated so closely to me other than the singing and guitar playing was Kaka ki Chai. The farewell title my juniors gave me was "purani jeans aur guitar, wo kaka ki chai aur mere yaar". Oh Ho, here I go again, blowing my own not so trumpety trumpets. I gulped down 2 cups in quick succession, oblivious to the painful burning sensation in my chest and stomach. Then she came, along with Trina, her best friend. Apparently, she had an important class to attend and said that she would meet me after that. The 50 minute wait witnessed a few more cups of tea and some more cancer sticks.

She met me at Kaka ki Thadi after her class and I took her straight to Amul's(our favourite joint in Jaipur). Three hours we sat there, she was nibbling on the miniature pizza while I was busy gulping one ThumsUp after another. I had almost 10 bottles during the 3 hour period..he he. She had sensed it but she was acting all nonchalant about it, and it irritated me a little. I had always thought of myself as a confident man, I still do, but on that moment, it seemed like all the energy and confidence in the world had left me. I was perspiring, and gulping down the ThumsUp bottles to make up for the dehydration. Anyway..I finally mustered up all the courage in this world..and said it!. " I think I'm falling in love with you"...yikkkkkes!!!! I resented it as soon as I said it...what a stupid jerk I was...'I think', 'falling'?? To my benefit, she didn't seem to have paid attention to the bad choice of words:).So that was it...I had confessed my love for a woman for the first time in my life. What happened after that is not important right now...ummm..maybe later. I just wanted to wish my baby a very happy anniversary:)

3 comments:

storyteller said...

Thanks a lot!!!Thank you for mustering up enough courage to propose..Thank God u did that!!!and i really didnt know whether to laugh or cry and my heart beat was so fast n loud, i thought even u could hear it --but yes i remeber acting pretty cool abt the whole thing...yes maybe we didnt do it the way it shud ve been done!!!but till date its been the most memorable event of my life
and thank you again for making IT happen.i love u

storyteller said...

(forgot to add)by the way... even after these many yrs,my heratbeat again went louder and faster wen i read it!!

the mad momma said...

oh how cute. i just did my proposal post today. am adding this to my list. see you saturday