Monday, June 25, 2007

50 Greatest Extreme Metal Songs: Part 3

So here they are...the top 10 extreme metal songs till date...well not exactly..let's just say 10 of the best songs in extreme metal that I've listened to:)

(10) Future Breed Machine--Meshuggah(Destroy Erase Improve)
This song is everything that Meshuggah stand for. Excellent riffs, haunting melody and time signatures that are incomprehensible yet amazing!!

(9) Corporal Jigsore Quandary--Carcass(Necroticism:Descanting The Insalubrious)
One of the greatest albums in the death/grind genre. Pulverizinf riffs, insane double bass mayhem. I don't wanna get into the lyrics as they aren't any good:)..and as I've always said, I don't need any lectures or preaching in my music anyway. Gimme thrash/melo-death/death/grind when I want to headbang...gimme prog rock/metal,jazz when I wanna relax, gimme classic rock/heavy metal when I just wanna have fun...but don't expect me to praise or criticize a band for their lyrics..lol.

(8) Unas Slayer Of The Gods--Nile(In Their Darkened Shrines)
EPIC!! song this one. The Egyptian intro tune is mindblowing!! and then you get what Nile are best at..pure bone crunching heaviness!!

(7) Chapel Of Ghouls--Morbid Angel(Altars Of Madness)
A very haunting song from the masters. My second favourite song off this classic album.

(6) Ghost Of Perdition--Opeth(Ghost Reveries)
Opeth's best song to date,IMHO. The guitar work and the percussion is simply mind boggling.

(5) User-Maat-Re--Nile(Annihilation Of The Wicked)
The build up and character of the song is much like Unas Slayer Of The Gods, but the riffs on this one are more catchy and crunchy, it's a classic.

(4) Incarnate Solvent Abuse--Carcass(Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious)
The best death/grind song ever!! Note: I don't listen to Napalm Death...so I really have no idea about them:)

(3) Chopped In Half--Obituary(Cause Of Death)
Classic death metal doesn't get any better than this.

(2) Immortal Rites--Morbid Angel(Altars Of Madness)
Furious headbanger this one; the best song off this classic album.

(1) Fall From Grace--Morbid Angel(Blessed Are The Sick)
Yes, MA get the top 2 spots. This song may not be the most crushing or heavy that you'll ever hear but it's certainly the most memorable. As soon as the opening riff kicks in, you know it's Fall From Grace. You can't say that about a lot of Death Metal songs(except many of Death's songs) but they were never very extreme, that's why I included their songs in my 100Greatest Metal Songs list.

Well....that was it. Hope you like it:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured you were going to include Carcass, but I also thought you might incorporate Death. Good call on User-Maat-Re - that is one awesome song. I don't have much extreme death/black metal really. I have Behemoth ("demigod") which is quite good and Mirrorthrone ("carriers of the dust"), but hardly anyone has even heard of that. I've got to admit, that most of this stuff I have not heard.

Unknown said...

Demigod's a good album. Mirrorthrone I've never heard of. Well..I won't suggest you run off to the store and buy all the stuff that I mentioned:) What I will! suggest though, is get atleast MA-Altars of Madness & Blessed Are The Sick and Obituary-Cause Of Death. These three along with Death's Leprosy,Human,Symbolic & Individual Thought Patterns are ESSENTIAL!! Meshuggah is really heavy listening in a weird sense..but I do enjoy them now $ then:)