Friday, June 22, 2007

50 Greatest Extreme Metal Songs: Part 2

I'm back, so here they are..songs 30-11



(30) God Of Emptiness--Morbid Angel(Covenant)
Another great headbanger from the angels. I'm sure you saw it on MTV Headbanger's ball sometime or the other..?


(29) Cosmic Keys To My Creation And Times--Emperor(In The Nightside Eclipse)
This is, arguably, the most important release in the history of modern Black Metal. The atmosphere which Emperor have created on this album is so dark and cold that you can actually feel a shiver if you listen to this in a dim lit room, all alone..it's freakishly scary. Epic, dark, spooky and really hard hitting composition this one.


(28) Hammer Smashed Face--Cannibal Corpse(Tomb Of The Mutilated)
I'll admit, I don't like CC that much, the cover arts are enough to repel me..yukk!!I have about 12-15 of their songs that I downloaded..who would wanna buy something with those horrendous cover arts?? Anyway, this is one of their few kick*** songs that I enjoy listenign to now and then. Death n' Roll at it's best.


(27) The Leper Affinity--Opeth(Blackwater Park)
One of the very few straight up rockers from Opeth. A classic song, and might I add, one of the better solos in all of modern Death Metal.


(26) The Mouth Licking What You've Bled--Meshuggah(Chaosphere)
Another chaotic song from this chaotic album. I hear ting tong ting tong already:)


(25) Neurotica--Meshuggah(Chaosphere)
Another??? Oh yes, I'm not kidding...this is insane music.


(24) Into The Infinity Of Thoughts--Emperor(In The Nightside Eclipse)
Another epic song from this classic album.


(23) I'm In Pain--Obituary(The End Complete)
A bludgeoning song from this overlooked gem.


(22) Lashed To The Slavestick--Nile(Annihilation Of The Wicked)
Nile's most accessible song to date but that doesn't mean it won't hit the lights out of you.


(21) I'm The Balck Wizards--Emperor(In The Nightside Eclipse)My favourite song off this album..listen to find out why.


(20) Rapture--Morbid Angel(Covenant)
Classic, hyperspeed, true Morbid Angel style song this one. Gut thumping music!!


(19) Jesus Wept--Suffocation(Effigy Of The Forgotten)
Suffocation's best song to date. The guitars on this one have to be heard to believed.


(18) Kings Of Carnival Creation--Dimmu Borgir(Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia)
EPIC!! and really really DARK!! would be two words to describe this.


(17) Skull Full Of Maggots--Cannibal Corpse(Eaten Back To Life)
No blast beats, but this is one hell of a headbanger from CC.


(16) The Grand Conjuration--Opeth(Ghost Reveries)
Opeth's musical brilliance and creativity at it's pinnacle, this song has it all!


(15) I Whisper In The Ear Of The Dead--Nile(In Their Darkened Shrines)
How can a song sound so epic clocking in just over 5 minutes? That's the brilliance of Nile; it's almost as if you're listening to the soundtrack of a futuristic Blade Runner type movie, only it's much darker and evil. They do almost everything they know in this short masterpiece.


(14) Blessed--Decapitated(Winds Of Creation)
Decapitated's best song to date. I'll just leave you with that:)

(13) Forwards To Die!!!--Vader(Litany)
Straight up, in your face, ultra heavy galloping song from Vader. Really really catchy too.

(12) Phobophile--Cryptopsy(None So Vile)
What the hell is a piano doing in a Cryptopsy song?You'll ask yourself that question..and you'll probably anticipate that it would build up into a monster, but they'll brutally thrash you so abruptly you won't have the time to hide. This is as classic as brutal Death Metal can get.

(11) Corridor Of Chameleons--Meshuggah(Chaosphere)
30 seconds into the song and you'll know that Mehuggah mean business and they are here to hit your brains like anything.

So that wat it...keep your eyes open for the top 10 extreme metal songs:)

P.S.--If you thought you were seeing a pattern here; well let me tell you that there's a band in the top 10 which hasn't cracked the list yest, and they have 2 songs! in the top 10. These guys figured in my 100 Greatest Metal Songs List too. Curious???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see emperor here. They have some truly epic tunes. I'm with you on Cannibal Corpse. I listen to just about anything - but I listen to music for fun not to be grossed out! As to whose missing in your top ten - well I'm not going to guess . . .