Thursday, October 25, 2007

In Conversation with Moral Police...

I received a couple of hyperbolic e-mails from a lady the other day. Apparently, she was upset about this post which I had done sometime ago. She told me she was a regular reader of The Mad Momma and had chanced upon my blog from there. The lady inexplicably holds herself in very high esteem as she's a Malayali who has married a half! Tamilian and calls me a racist when I have loved and married a Bengali woman...hmm interesting. She took quite an offence to the fact that I pointed out the the relative lack of involvement of the southern part of India in our war of independence(which I've removed from my post by the way) and then went on to talk about the Moplah Revolution!, oh! how some people just blab for the heck of it! I couldn't be nasty to her in my replies coz (a) she's a lady and (b) she came from The Mad Momma's blog who's almost like a sister to me. I'd like to enlighten this delusional woman here though--The Moplah Revolution was merely a series of uprisings where the peasants in Malabar revolted against the landlords; British,Arabs as well as Indians!. It has NOTHING to do with our War of Independence. This was pure GK though...;)

Now, coming on to her 'racial discrimination' accusations. She conveniently ignored everything I had said about Gujarat, Maharashtra, Delhi and only saw south south and south! She also ignored the fact that I had said U.P. and Bihar accounted for the Lion's Share of crime in India and saw south south and south again!! I told this to her and I'm sure many of you who know me are aware that MOST of my very close friends are in fact NOT North Indians. Anyway, that's not the point, and I really shouldn't be bothering to explain myself to her. I had written that post in reference to what I had heard, read or seen in the recent past. That post was written as an outcry AGAINST racial/regional discrimination, not FOR it. I had made it very clear in the post itself...that I was not generalising. I thrashed Delhi in one of my posts, if I'm really a racist North Indian out on my world winning adventure of claiming North superiority..why would I do it?? If I hear or see something racist happening to a Malaylai,Telugu,Tamilian,Bengali,Marathi,Gujarati etc etc in the North or anywhere, I'll write about that too! The lady's comments, however, have brought back the same feelings in me...and she was sounding exactly like the complexed people I was talking about in my post. I was talking about how people should welcome everybody in their home, how you should not look down upon people from Bihar, U.P. coz they give us civil servants who work for us..and there she goes ranting about how South produces the maximum! number of software engineers working in the USA..how there are so many! South Indian doctors in the UK...??? Is that something to be proud of? YES, of course. We are all proud of it...we are all proud of our brothers and sisters in the South who bring us so much foreign exchange, we are all proud of the numerous great litterateurs, activists, freedom fighters, Nobel laureates West Bengal has given us...we are all proud of the statesmen and litterateurs UP has given us...we are all proud of Bangalore for giving us our own Silicon Valley...and so on and so forth. But that still doesn't give any person from any region to badmouth or look down upon someone else just because he/she does not share 'geography' with you...or does it? Such was this woman's sheer superiority complex that she even put my uncle's 12 years old son under her racial microscope. In my post I had mentioned that my uncle's son(who's studying in a school in Chennai) told us that his classmates used to call him 'the white pig'..which was not acceptable by any means. This lady tells me that it must have been the child's fault and he must have acted arrogantly with the children there, because that's how the North Indian children are brought up..to act arrogant with South Indians!!?? God have mercy on any North Indian children that cross her path :)

Anyway, after rambling, ranting and name calling for about 4 mails that lady has told me she would not visit my blog again...oh! how considerate of you ma'am. She has also told me that I shouldn't bother replying to her as she's created a filter, because she wants to have the LAST WORD....boo hoo!! really? LOL....anyway, I'm really hoping she stays true to her word and does not see this, coz I'll find it hard to be polite the next time :)

2 comments:

the mad momma said...

LOL! welcome to celeb status. that is when the hate mail flows in :p

Unknown said...

he he, I know.