Monday, February 19, 2007

THE iPhone....Any takers???


"iPhone combines three amazing products — a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, maps, and searching — into one small and lightweight handheld device."
This is what Apple have to say about their new gizmo on their website. The iPod is a CULT..it's a fashion statement...and these days it's almost always a necessity. The power of iPod can be seen in the fact that iPod has actually become a generic name for all portable digital music players. Shoppers at Delhi's Palika Bazaar come in barges to ask for an iPod..and what they take away is a locally made low quality player which sounds like TIN in your ears. When the Mac almost died due to the mammoth that Windows is, it was the iPod which provided Apple with the resources to build up the Mac brand again.
I, for one, like my gadgets to be special...as in...I would never invest in a mobile phone with a 3-4 megapixel camera coz I love my 6 Megapixel Cannon digicam..I would rather the pictures be taken on it...I wouldn't invest in a Nokia N93...If I want to, I'd record widescreen DVD quality in my SONY DVD-Handycam. GPRS/EDGE/3G are welcome in a mobile phone...coz carrying around your laptop is not always possible, for e-mail checking and casual chatting etc. I would never invest in one of those Sony Walkman series phones or Nokia N91 coz I love my music on my iPod Nano. I wouldn't jump through hoofs to acquire a small device with tremendous "horsepower" as they call it...350-450 Mhz processor...a la iPaq, iMate JAM..etc etc...huh. If I want horsepower I'd rather use my Core2Duo ThinkPad T60.....I mean who on earth would want horsepower on a flight or train journey...it's not like we'd be rendering a ShrekII on our journey. And last but not the least...playing games...watching movies...is best when done on a big screen...atleast a 12.1' laptop LCD.
So..though it might seem like a revolutionary product(which the iPod was)...the iPhone actually is nothing but a simple gimmick. There is nothing new that the iPhone has to offer...many high-end Nokia..Sony mobiles can do the same job, and have been in the market for quite long. Aesthetically, it does appeal a lot...a true eye-candy..but no more than that. I'm not excited the least bit....you....well...decide for yourself.

No comments: