Thursday, February 15, 2007

Force of the DRAGON!!!




The most shocking and awe inspiring surprises come from where you expect the least. This happened to me very recently; I had heard of this band called DragonForce about a year ago on some power metal forum where the guys were all praises for this band. I did not pay much attention, and thought it might be another of those Helloween or Blind Guardian rip-offs hailing from Germany or Sweden singing about dragons(as the name suggests) or chanting Tolkien rhymes. But boy!! I was wrong, and I'm mad at myself for not checking them out earlier. DragonForce are an 'extreme power metal'(that's what they call themselves) band from London, England(lol, was I surprised at this? a bit:-))
To describe their music in a nutshell:- Virtuosity par excellence, inhuman instrumentation and music that's faster than the speed of light!! Yes! you read that correct, I was finding it impossible to tap my foot along with the beats. The dual guitar harmonies and solos by Herman Li and Sam Totman are something which you have to hear for yourself to believe, not even a thousand word write-up can explain it. Herman Li, well, he's the real guitar GOD as of now, have a look at the picture below(look at Steve vai's expression!!This is a still from Ibanez JEM 20th anniversary show....MAKE WAY FOR THE NEW MASTER)Soooooooo fast!! and so melodious, you feel like crying, and how Dave Mackintosh(drummer) can keep up with all of it is beyond my comprehension.

They don't make memorable music for sure, but while you listen to it, you'll feel that there's nothing more grand and more accomplished than these guys. The speed factor, well, the speed at which they have played in Inhuman Rampage(their latest album), as I said, is inhuman. Whether they can beat this is something we'll have to wait and watch. These guys do tend to get a bit self indulgent at times, but even doing so, they make music which all metal bands, and I mean all of them!! can only dream of. That's speed I'm talking about. So, while the speed lasts, and even if it doesn't, you have to enjoy two of their last albums..Sonic Firestorm and Inhuman Rampage. I haven't heard much off their debut album, Valley Of The Damned, so I can't comment about it. As for Sonic...and Inhuman...they are masterpieces!!

Classic Tracks: Through The Fire And Flames, Revolution Deathsquad, Cry Of The Brave, Fury Of The Storm, Fields Of Despair, Cry For Eternity

No comments: