Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy Review

This is for my dear friend and fellow metalhead Koreel.

There was a time when Guns N' Roses were the biggest rock band on the planet(some might even say the biggest in all of music), and deservedly so. From the angst ridden brazen hard rock of Appetite for Destruction(the best rock/metal debut ever..period) to the mature long players in Use Your Illusion I and II, there was nothing these guys could do wrong, musically atleast. Then, they went ahead and broke up, the stupid egoistic rascals!

It seems only yesterday when I was listening to November Rain on my tape deck. We couldn't afford CDs with our pocket money at that time, the best we could do was get 'cobalt' tape versions for our beloved albums. Times have changed, we have CDs, iPods and digital music now...and the honest piano notes and violins of November Rain, the savage opening riff of Welcome to The Jungle and the eternal opening lick of Sweet Child O Mine have paved way for the Pro-Tools-ted arrangements of Chinese Democracy. Was that criticism right there? One might ask..and the answer is both yes and no.

The problem with reviewing Chinese Democracy is one's own knowledge of the fact that it took 15 years to make. 15 long years and God knows how much money to produce one effing! album. To ignore or not to ignore this fact, is the question. Anyway, before going any further, let me tell you this--to be able to enjoy even a minute of Chinese Democracy you gotta have a decent system with quality speakers, or if you're a "A kaant liv widout ma iPod" types then get a decent set of headphones..INR 1500 and above(in-ear would serve you much better).

Let's get the obvious out of the way first--yes, Axl has not lost any bit of his range or screaming prowess....but...that's about the only thing that sounds Gn'R here. It's an entirely new enterprise, so to speak. His self indulgent alter ego(or is it the real Axl?) is still very much evident as it always was on November Rain, Estranged or Coma. This self indulgence however, seems more of a conscious effort this time around, and that is what irked me just a tad. By now you must be thinking what the hell am I talking about. What about the songs? Which ones are good? Well, I'm not gonna give you a song by song review here and I'm definitely not going to give you my "verdict". Honestly, this is one of those polarising albums which come out rarely. Having said that, yes, this is a good comeback album and Axl showcases some of his best vocal performances ever. I can't really pick a favourite tune here, but Street of Dreams, the title track and IRS get two thumbs up from me. Rest of the songs range from good to average to outright boring.

I still don't know my reaction to Chinese Democracy. I think it all started with huge expectations about 2 years ago when the news reached it's pinnacle, then it went down a bit and then it completely nosedived untill the album actually came and bit me in my face. Is it a good rock album? Certainly yes. Is it a great rock album? I really can't say...need much more time for that. As of now, I can only tell you that..except for the straight ahead rockers and the beautiful Street of Dreams, the album sounds like it is trying to do everything that has been done in all of music. Funk, punk, pianos, orchestral arrangements, rap, hip hop....everything stuffed in at every moment possible. I for one, don't quite like that approach, and if you're still wondering why it hasn't been mentioned yet....yes, I would take a Slash with only his left hand and two fingers over Buckethead anyday :). To sum up, I can't say I'm disappointed, because I don't know if I am, but for what it's worth I WILL tell you that this is THE ONLY non-metal album that has managed to hold my attention for more than 5 minutes in many many! years (the last being Throwing Copper by Live in 1994). Not that Chinese Democracy needs my approval ;), but I still thought I'd share this fact.

So that was Chinese Democracy for you; a good album with a couple of astonishing songs and, yes, some filler stuff. The production is razor sharp! I tell you, probably the most "produced album"(if that's even a term) I have heard in a long time. It's a both a pro and a con. For me, rock and metal still mean RAW, or atleast a hint of it. But, to each his own, I'm just saying what I PREFER and this is definitely not a general negative for Chinese Democracy in any way. I'll even go to the extent of saying that it is a MUST buy for every fan of rock/hard rock....but the '15 years in making' tag just doesn't quite justify what I AM hearing (see, I really couldn't resist).

3 comments:

asgardjunkie said...

Hmmm, I was eagerly waiting for your take on this. As far as I'm concerned Chinese Democracy is an ok to good hard rock album. My only problem is that it is by G n' R - the gods of hard rock. Going by these antecedents I was totally disappointed. Sad, cause I really like the cover. BTW eagerly awaiting your take on "The New Game", Mudvayne's latest.

Unknown said...

Well, I didn't have the GNR!!! expectations from this album anyway(only Axl doesn;t make GNR for me) but yes, this is still a disappointment. Oh...and unfortunately you may never see my take on "The New Game" ;).

asgardjunkie said...

Hmm ne'er mind, it's not one of Mudvayne's best. In fact on one of the songs they positively sound like Mudvayne meets papa Roach.